What is it and Why Are We Crazy About it?
Matcha is finely ground green tea leaves. It enables you to take in the full benefits of the green tea leaves compared to traditional green tea. Matcha powder is abundant in antioxidants, thus strengthening your immune system, as well as vitamin C, zinc and magnesium. Moreover, it boosts your metabolism, helping you burn calories and thus lose weight. Not only does matcha lower cholesterol and blood sugar levels, but it also helps to detox the body (plus I find the simple act of making it extremely relaxing). In other words, matcha gives you energy without the caffeine crash afterwards.
Matcha is a versatile ingredient that can be used in smoothies, baked treats, oats or chia pudding. My favourite is a matcha latte.
Matcha Latte Recipe
- 1 1/2 tsp matcha powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or any of your choice)
- sweetener (stevia)
- Sift the matcha powder into the water to remove any lumps.
- Using a match bamboo whisk, start whisking the powder into the water. (You may use a regular whisk but it will not produce the same foam as a bamboo whisk.)
- Keep staring until it is well incorporated as the powder does not dissolve into the water.
- Add in the cold milk and sweetener to your taste.
One thought on “Matcha Powder”