Hey guys, welcome back to the blog! It’s been a hot minute since I’ve baked some healthy cookies so to get back into it, I tried a new gluten, dairy, and sugar free chocolate chip recipe. I tried this recipe a couple of times to make sure it is foolproof and if you want a chewy, crisp cookie then this is the recipe for you. This recipe yields about 9 servings but you can easily halve or double it. They also store really well in the fridge, and they have a more soft, crumbly texture when warm.
Gluten Free Flours
The type of flour you use significantly impacts the texture of your cookie, for this recipe I used self-raising gluten free flour from Freee Farm, but you can also use any gluten free all purpose flour blend. I like using a pre-made flour mix to simplify the recipe rather than mixing different flours to achieve the right consistency. However, for this recipe I would avoid bean flour or coconut flour, which could change the taste and texture of the cookie.
For this recipe, I used a sugar free stevia/erythritol brown sugar from Truvia. I would recommend brown sugar for this recipe rather than white sugar blends because it gives the cookie that soft texture in the middle. If you want to substitute the brown sugar, coconut sugar should also work well.
Making it dairy free
If you want a dairy free recipe, you can use coconut oil like I did. If not, you can use traditional butter. I have not tried vegan butter with this recipe, but it should work as well. Your cookies need a source of fat to stay soft and chewy, if you skip it you risk having a dry and crumbly cookie.
- Allow all your ingredients to come to room temp to prevent the coconut oil from solidifying.
- Do not overman the dough.
- You can chill the dough for 15mins before baking so that the cookie expands while the fat melts when baking.
- Avoid flattening the cookie dough balls, they should spread out when baking, otherwise they’ll just melt into one big puddle.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 sugar substitute (I used Truvia Brown Sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven at 150ºC.
- Whisk coconut oil and brown sugar until well combined.
- Add in the vanilla, salt, and eggs.
- Gently fold in the gluten free flour until it forms a sticky dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chill the dough.
- Roll out cookie dough balls on a tray lined with baking paper, ensuring each one has enough room.
- Bake at 180ºC for 15-20 mins or until they turn golden.
- Allow them to cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.
There you have it! My favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe. I hope you try this one out and find more recipes you’ll enjoy. Please like and follow for more gluten free recipes. Thank you for reading xoxo.