I haven’t always been a fan of green juices, mostly because it’s an acquired taste, but lately I’ve been giving it a try because I feel like my digestive system needed a boost. The best thing about a detox juice is that it has all the benefits blended into one. It’s simple and quick, but my issue has always been the high folate levels in green juices; folate is found in spinach and avocado, and it doesn’t always agree with me.
So the recipe below is a green juice for beginners, you don’t just jump onto the green juice frenzy, you ease into it.
- 1 small green apple
- 50 grams of sliced cucumber (or a handful)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp matcha powder (unsweetened)
- 1-2 cups of water
Tip: pass the juice through a strainer.
Other Ingredients you can add or substitute with:
- apple cider vinegar
The possibilities of a green juice are endless and effective if you need a cleanse for either weight loss or detox. The juice is one I make in the morning and before breakfast, I don’t usually have it every day, but if you’re trying out a detox week then this would be a good idea.
I hope you try it out and if you do please leave me a comment. Follow for more posts like this one and thank you for reading, xoxo.
A body detox not only helps to heal the body but the skin and mind as well. Sometimes our bodies need a break and our digestive system needs time to heal and a detox is a great way to do that. To be able to complete a detox we need to focus more on the benefits and the foods we get to eat rather than the foods we are depriving ourselves of. By trying this 7-day detox, you can get a feel of how turning to a healthy lifestyle can make your body feel. You can decide to keep practicing some of these habits if you wish, however make sure you are taking in enough calories for you body type and not over exercising. Be sure to never fall into the extreme side, don’t deprive your body.
So here are some of the benefits of this detox:
- Removes toxins from the body
- Improves skin health and mental well-being
- Heals the gut and improves digestion
- Aids in weight loss
- Reduces feeling of tiredness
Foods and Drinks That Aid in Detox:
- Lemon water with mint
- Green Tea
- Chia seeds
- Citrus fruits
- sunflower or pumpkin seeds
Foods To Avoid:
- Sugar/ soft drinks
- Any processed foods
- Reduce coffee intake
- Red Meat
- Any sauces
- Unhealthy oils (opt for olive, coconut, and avocado)
HABITS for this week:
- Exercise everyday for this week- mild exercising as you may be reducing your calorie intake.
- Drink at least 2-3 liters of water per day- dehydration is a major cause of sluggishness.
- Try some mindful reading, anything from a self care book to daily sayings.
- Obtain at least 7-8hrs of sleep– to let your mind and body recuperate.
- Avoid eating carbohydrates after 6pm- your body won’t be using up the energy at night and it will be stored as fat..
- Wake up early everyday- to stimulate your brain and get a head start on your day.
- Have either lemon water, green tea or any unsweetened herbal tea.
- Organize your life- be it your work space, closet or schedule, it’s time to start picking up the pieces. It will help clear you mind and you’ll be able to focus more on yourself.
- Kill the stress– do something that relaxes you; it can be working out, painting, hanging out with friends or enjoying some alone time. Dedicate this week to yourself.
- Journaling– write down anything you like into a journal or diary, you thoughts, emotions, how you feel physically or even your diet plan. There’s something calming about writing that typing just can’t compare with, so give it a try in these 7 days, remember we’re detoxing the mind as well.
After completing the detox week successfully, you should feel an improvement in your skin, mental alertness and physical health. It is your choice if you want to continue the detox for a longer period. I have implemented most of the habits into my lifestyle, however there are some that I struggle with, which is completely fine. You cannot change things overnight, gradually implement these changes with time as you see fit. I hope this has helped you in any way possible, to strive towards a healthier lifestyle, it may not be the easiest process, but it has the best results.
Leave me a comment or follow my blog for more tips. xoxo
- Cleanse day and night use a gentle face cleanser to get rid of any bacteria, oil and dead skin cells, removing impurities and giving the skin a fresher look. Also remember to use a proper makeup cleanser; I love oil cleansing, it is an essential part of Korean skincare Routines and you need to try it!
- Use sunscreen everyday even when you are in the house, as the sun’s harmful UV rays can still penetrate the skin. Therefore, be sure your skin is always protected.
- Use moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated and has anti-ageing benefits. If you have oily or combination skin make sure your moisturizer oil free, but it is an essential step even in oily skin care routines.
- Use homemade masks sometimes the key to healthy skin is right in your kitchen. DIY masks are 100% natural and have effective healing benefits for the skin. This is the cost-effective side of natural skin care so give it a try, you might be surprised by the results.
- Avoid touching your face throughout the day we touch our face unconsciously, getting bacteria onto our skin. It’s important to keep our hands clean and to avoid picking at our skin.
- Clean your makeup brushes and beauty blenders it is important to do so every two or three weeks, as bacteria builds up into our brushes. Using unclean brushes deposits dirt and oil onto our skin and into our makeup as well, causing our skin to breakout. Even the best of skincare won’t help if you’re constantly using unclean brushes on your skin.
- Tea Tree Oil on pimples that won’t go away. Just use a q-tip or a cotton swab to apply the tea tree oil to your breakouts, dip the q-tip into water before adding the oil to dilute it, as it is concentrated. This is a great skincare ingredients but do not overuse it as it may dry out your skin.
- Go for makeup free days sometimes it’s good to let your skin breathe, so avoid wearing a full face of makeup every single day. Layers of foundation and concealer can clog the pores and can worsen breakouts. In the long run it can cause your skin to age faster, so opt for a natural look on some days.
- Exfoliating the skin to get rid of dead skin cells that make the skin dry and rough and lead to excess oil and clogged pores. Exfoliating makes the skin look healthier and more plump, as it allows us to absorb moisturizing products more deeply into our skin. You can use physical exfoliants like a sugar scrub, a face sponge or brush or a chemical peel. If you have sensitive skin go for a more natural exfoliant. Avoid exfoliating areas with breakouts.
- Avoid triggering factors sometimes certain foods can lead to breakouts. For example, I breakout when I consume dairy products, so try to observe if anything triggers your skin.
Hope this list has helped you, please leave a comment and like. Follow my blog for more skin care tips to come. Xoxo.