Hey guys, welcome back to the blog. Today’s recipe is a new one, a gluten and dairy free orange cake! This simple recipe is a twist on my usual lemon bars. It is a soft, yet denser cake, covered with a sweet orange syrup. This is my first time experimenting with fresh oranges, without any orange extract. While you can add orange extract to boost the flavour, I’d definitely recommend adding freshly squeezed orange juice to this one. The recipe yields 9 servings but you can easily double it. The cake is best served warm and would pair great with fresh fruit. Here is how you can make it!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup erythritol sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Freshly squeezed orange juice (I used 3 oranges)
- 3 medium-sized eggs
- 1 cup almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp honey + juice from 2 oranges (for the simple syrup)
- Preheat the oven at 150ºC.
- Whisk together coconut oil, eggs, sugar, and orange zest.
- Mix in the orange juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours and baking powder together.
- Sift in half of the dry mixture into the wet and fold in gently.
- Alternate between adding in the almond milk and dry mixture until you get a smooth, thick batter.
- Pour the batter into a lined baking tin and bake at 180ºC for 25-30 mins, until the top turns golden.
- To make the simple syrup (traditionally made with equal parts sugar and water), slightly warm up some honey and mix in the orange juice.
- Use a fork or skewer to poke small holes in the cake, drizzle the syrup all over and cut into squares before serving.
I hope you try out this recipe and find it helpful. I have a few more recipes coming out this month so keep an eye out for more gluten and dairy free baking. Please like and follow to support the healthboss community and thank you for reading, xoxo.