Lately, I’ve been into no-bake desserts, they’re quick and easy and store well for quick snacks on the go. Although, I never thought of using rice cakes, I always thought they tasted like Styrofoam, until they started trending on TikTok recently, forcing me to see them in a different light. After countless of videos on rice cake snacks, I decided to put my own twist on them and make no-bake chocolate rice cake bars. These are gluten and dairy free and are so decadent with a drizzle of almond butter, you won’t want to miss them. So grab that bag of rice cakes in the back of your pantry and let’s get into it.
What kind of rice cakes do I need?
Any kind of rice cake should work with this recipe, I used Kallo’s rice cakes. However, if you are really against rice cakes you can opt for corn cakes instead, simply make sure they’re the thick ones as the thin ones can be more crunchy than soft.
Is this recipe vegan?
Yes! This recipe is vegan. Normally, my no-bake desserts include honey, however in this case the dairy-free chocolate chips I used were sweetened with xylitol (making the recipe refined-sugar free as well). If your chocolate chips aren’t sweetened, you could always add 1-2 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice.
- 6-8 rice cakes
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips – I used Neofoods, but you can also used a bar of chocolate.
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk – I used almond
- 1/4 cup toppings – I used almond flakes and shredded coconut. You can also add dried fruit, walnuts or any toppings you’d like.
- 2 tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1/2 tsp flaky salt – I find that a little sprinkle of salt really enhances them.
- In a bowl, crush your rice cakes into small pieces.
- In a heatproof bowl, add your chocolate, coconut oil and milk and place over a double boiler until melted.
- Allow the chocolate to cool down completely (this is important otherwise you’ll end up with soggy bars) before adding to the crushed rice cakes.
- Use a spatula to mix until all the rice cakes are coated in chocolate.
- Add your toppings and press the mixture into a lined baking tin. Drizzle with some nut butter and sprinkle some sea salt.
- Refrigerate until hardened before cutting into bars.
You can store these in the fridge for up to a week or freeze them for longer. This has been my go-to no-bake snack for a couple of weeks now and I can’t get enough of it. I hope you try these out and let me know what you think of them down in the comments. Please like and follow for more quick recipes like this one, xoxo.
More Recipes Like These
No-bake Almond Bites – find the recipe here
Vegan Snack Bars – find the recipe here
Chia Seed Pudding – find the recipe here