When I was a child, I was obsessed with donuts and growing up, I can admit I’m still pretty in love with them. However, I know that they aren’t the healthiest because they are packed with sugar and deep-fried, so I finally came up with the right recipe to remedy that. It took a couple of tries to get this one right, it won’t have the same exact texture as a regular donut but it’s a close second.
This is a gluten, dairy and sugar-free recipe and it is simply delicious!
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour ( I used Neofoods’s all purpose gf flour)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup erythritol/stevia blend (you can also use monk fruit or coconut sugar) I used a zero calorie sweetener, so calories may vary depending on the sweetener you use.
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Whisk together the egg, milk and coconut oil until well incorporated.
- Add in the vanilla, baking powder and sugar.
- Fold in the flours and pour the batter into greased donut pans (I used coconut oil)
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 10-15 mins on 170ºC or until slightly golden.
- I added cacao nibs to my mix, you can also add in blueberries or any other fruit.
- You can add a chocolate glaze, for a vegan option mix coconut oil with cacao powder at a 1:3 ratio. You can also use melted coconut butter or almond butter.
- Be careful when using sugar blends, stevia tends to have a bitter taste which is why I used a mix of stevia and erythritol.
- Make sure your wet ingredients are room temperature or your coconut oil may solidify.
- I prefer my batter a little more on the runny or thin side, if it’s too thick, your donuts may be too dense. Mix well before adding any more flour or liquid as the consistency will thicken up with the almond flour.
- Avoid overcooking them by piercing them with a fork, the moment your fork comes out clean, turn the oven off. If you’re afraid they are slightly undercooked leave them in the closed oven.
- Servings: 6
- Calories: 150
- Time: 20-25 mins
Thank you for reading, I hope you try out this recipe. Let me know down in the comments if you do and please follow for more guilt-free treats like this one, xoxo.